water in a stick

water in a stick
survival

Thursday, October 22, 2009

and the drama goes on.....

At 4:30 am I dialed 911.  Howard is laying on the living room floor in his boxers and a t shirt.  His pupils are huge.  His skin is pale and clammy wet.  He has terrible chest pain and trouble breathing.  I hurriedly put on a pair of pants and a shirt and move furniture out of the way giving space for the paramedics to work.  The paramedics arrive take Howard's blood pressure and attach wires to his chest.
"I'm feeling better."  Howard says.  "The pain is going away."  All eyes watch the screen recording his heartbeats.
The medic says his pressure is up, but not exceedingly high.  His pulse is up too, but not alarmingly so.  The little green screen tells us that his heart is functioning okay.  This is probably not a heart attack.
Howard feels embarrassed.  I can feel the muscles in my body relaxing a little bit.
Howard is sitting up now.  The medics have decided it must have been indigestion.  Howard had taken multiple Tums when the pain began and it seems they finally have taken effect.  I gave him an aspirin, just in case.
The medic team of five pack up their equipment and depart.  I put my pajamas back on and we go back to bed.  It was a very scary hour.
I haven't slept tonight.  I hurt my back day before yesterday and there is no position that is comfortable.  Also, about four hours ago I had heartburn so bad it took ten Tums before it went away.  I felt like I was going to pass out.  Howard and I decide it must have been something we both ate and settle on the pumpkin pie he bought at Costco.  I said it tasted different, they must have a new baker or something.  We won't eat an;y more of it.
The pain in my lower back, left side, is excruciating.  I am now pacing the floor.  I sit.  I lay down.  I walk more.  Nothing helps.  It is now almost 9 am.  I brush my teeth and get dressed.  Howard will take me to the urgent care center.  Riding in the car is unbearable.
When we arrive the Dr. gives me a gown to put on and puts me in bed.  After many questions and me disolving into tears of pain, they give me a shot of dilaudin (?) and a muscle relaxer.  It takes about ten minutes before I start feeling the effects.  After twenty minutes I can sit.  The pain is bearable.  They xray my back and see no bulging disks.  The Dr. decides I have sprained my back and it is spasaming.  All I know is that the horrible pain is slowly sliding away.  The Dr. gives me instructions and prescriptions.  I am to go home, lay down, find a comfortable postion and stay there for a week taking muscle relaxers and pain meds, and alternating ice and heat each hour.  He allows me to use the bathroom and get up for meals.  After a week I will begin physical therapy.
We go home after getting the meds.  I get into the bed, get comfy and fall asleep.  Hours later I wake up. The pain is coming back.  I have a beer, it is after 5 pm.  Get some crackers and cheese.  After about an hour I take the  pills. I have iced and heated my lower back.  It hurts.  A lot.  I thought I would write a bit, but the medicine makes it hard to see.  Guess it is time to stop, go to bed, get comfy and wait.  I won't be able to read, the pills make my vision blurry.
I think this may be a long week.
Howard says, other than a headache, he feels good.
I feel like shit. I won't be doing an;y gardening for a while.  That is how I hurt my back.
I am going to close my eyes now and drift around.
Have a nice night.

1 comment: